4.16.2013

Antique Frame Technique

Have you seen those crackle paint frames? Have you wondered how to make one? It is super simple, let me walk you through it.

Keep in mind that each step is simple and goes pretty fast. The project as a whole takes time because the different layers need time to dry as each one is completed. I would also recommend trying it out on a scrap piece of wood {a 2 x 4 would be great} so you can understand how your stain, glue and paint all work together.


First gather all your stuff: Wooden frame, Wood Stain, Hyde Glue, Paper Cup {to mix}, Water Base Paint, Paint Brush {I used a sponge brush}, Sand Paper.

These first few steps are optional but I like to use them.
{Optional} If you need to, or choose to, sand the frame to smooth it out.


{Optional} Stain the frame according to the directions on the bottle. If it needs time to set, be sure to allow for that. Adding stain first adds a great contrast to show between the cracks of the pain. Sand down to add some personality to your frame.


In the small paper cup mix Hyde glue with water. For this project, since the frame is a smaller one, I mixed 3 parts glue and 1 part water. With the sponge brush add to frame {I added a second layer after the first dried}. ~ Make sure it dries before moving on.

*The less water mixed in with the Hyde glue the thicker the cracks will be. If thinner, more subtle cracks are what you are looking for mix more water into Hyde glue.
{I use a woodworkers Hyde glue for the crackle affect. There are a number of crackle paint products out now that you are sure to find at your local craft stores. I haven't tried any of them so, unfortunately, I don't have any insights as to how they all differ. But I can tell you I like using the Hyde glue for a couple reasons, fist being that this is what my dad used when he taught me the crackle paint technique so I am already familiar with this technique. The Hyde glue can also be used for my wood working projects.}


Normally I use left over {water base} paint from a can but I don't have any right now and only need a small amount for this frame, so I am going to use this water base acrylic from Joann's Craft. Be sure to work fast and don't keep brushing over the same spots to much, as the Hyde glue softens up from the paint it will start to clump if it keeps getting brushed. I did a second coat after the first had time to dry {my instructions said to wait an hour} to make sure that the white paint isn't too thine {opaque}. This will also help with the crackle effect to make some more intense cracks and cover up the super thin ones that I don't want showing. ~ Make sure it dries before moving on.


Once the paint has had time to fully dry, sand some personality into it. I like to sand corners, edges or anywhere that the paint would be missing from being handled over time.

After the paint dries your have a couple options to finish the crackle paint.
1. I am going to leave it the way it is.
2. To add another layer of antique to the project, take the rag you used when using the wood stain, make sure there is a little bit of stain on the rag and wipe it over the paint.
3. Add a sealant coat. I have used one that was brushed one or sprayed on from a can, like a clear acrylic {make sure it is not water based}.

My final project for this frame will follow in just a bit once I get it done

~Go Create

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails